Murfreesboro, TN 37130
Office: (615) 890-7207
Fax: (615) 904-7526
Hours: Monday to Friday
8:00am – 4:30pm
Forms for Schools
Surplus Property Request
Policies & Procedures
Surplus Equipment Disposal
The following is the procedure for disposal of any surplus items:
- School Principals, Department Heads in the Central Office, or the Director of Maintenance will submit a list of items to be declared surplus property to the Inventory Supervisor for Rutherford County. The request must contain:
- Inventory tag number
- Once this list is compiled, the Inventory Supervisor will send out a surplus list to all Principals, Department Heads in the Central Office, and the Director of Maintenance who have two (2) weeks to respond if they have need of any of the items. The schools must make a written request to obtain the surplus items before it is placed for bid or declared surplus. Schools will be responsible for prompt pickup of requested items. Any items not requested by schools may be made available to other county departments.
- The Purchasing Agent for the Rutherford County Board of Education will make notice of the surplus items for sale by advertisement in the local newspaper for a minimum of ten (10) days. Surplus property, which has no value or a value of less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250), may be disposed of without the necessity of bids. The principal of the school with the surplus personal property must submit a request to the Director of Schools for the property to be disposed of without the necessity of bids which must include an explanation of the assigned value of the property. The request will be forwarded to the Purchasing Agent for the Rutherford County Board of Education upon approval by the Director of Schools who will notify the principal.
- Surplus personal property may be disposed of in the following manner:
- Transfer to other institutions and schools within Rutherford County, Tennessee;
- Public auction, publicly advertised and held;
- Sale under sealed bids, publicly advertised, opened and recorded;
- Sale by internet auction.
- Once bids have been received, the list of items with their bid will be brought before the Board of Education for approval or disapproval of the surplus list and their bids. After award notification, the successful bidder will be given ten (10) days to retrieve the items. The purchasing agent will notify the school and/or person where items are located, that the equipment has been officially declared surplus, and that the bidder has ten days to claim the equipment.
- Upon receiving notification by the Purchasing Agent of surplus items unable to be sold, the Principal, Department Head or Director of Maintenance may dispose of said property. However, the Principal, Department Head or Director of Maintenance may not dispose of computer equipment, peripherals and televisions. These items will be removed from their location by an organization or individual designated by the Board to provide recycling. The Board of Education will retain the discretion to permit individual schools to sell surplus items and retain proceeds at the school level upon specific approval.
- The Board reserves the right to re-advertise for sale items that appear to be wroth considerably more than is generated by the initial sale or reject any or all bids.